BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Child's main address

The address you use on your child’s school application is very important and will be used to calculate the home to school distance for the schools you have named.

The address you provide must be your child’s main place of residence.

This means they must live at this address permanently or, in the case of separated families, the address of the parent where the child spends most school nights. School nights are Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday because children will be travelling to school from that address the following day.

Only one address can be used in your application.

If you're unsure of the address to use, please contact us at

If you're moving address shortly

You must use your child's main address when you apply, even if you’re moving shortly after the closing date for school applications.

If you’re moving after you have submitted your application, you will need to provide us with proof of your move, for example a copy of your exchange of contract or a signed and dated tenancy agreement.

You must tell us about the move and provide proof by 9 November 2018 for secondary school applications and 29 January 2019 for primary school applications. After these dates we will use the original address given to us at the time of application for calculating home to school distances.

If you give a false address

If you provide a false address in your school application and a place is offered based on this information, we can and will withdraw the school place offered.

If any part of an application is thought to be false we will investigate.

If you believe someone has provided false information on their school application, we ask that you email to tell us. We will treat your email in confidence and keep your personal information private.

Please note we won't be able to advise you of any outcome of an investigation.



If we ask for proof of address

In some cases we may ask you to provide proof of the address where your child is living. We will contact you if this is required.

The following proof will be accepted:

  • A Child Tax Credits award letter
  • A letter from your doctor which includes the child's name and the address they're registered to.

Copies of any letters must be dated during the application period. Any proof dated outside of the application period may not be accepted, as you will need to prove your child's address at the time of applying.