If you'd like your child to be considered for a grammar school they will need to sit the Medway Test.
Once you register your child for the Medway Test, they will sit it and receive their results before the closing date for secondary school applications. This is to help you make an informed decision when applying for secondary schools.
Registration for the 2018 Medway Test opens: 9am, Thursday 1 June 2017
Registration for the 2018 Medway Test closes: 5pm, Friday 30 June 2017
Before you register we strongly advise you discuss with your child's class teacher or Headteacher whether the Medway Test and grammar school is right for them.
We don't recommend children are registered for the Medway Test if they're not working at or above expected levels for their age.
- The Medway Test is for Medway grammar schools only.
- If you live in Medway but you're considering grammar schools in another area, for example Kent, your child will need to take their test. Contact the relevant local authority for more information.
- If you live outside of Medway, but are considering Medway grammar schools you need to register your child for the Medway Test.
- Passing the Medway Test doesn’t guarantee your child will be offered a place in a Medway grammar school. Make sure you read and understand the oversubscription criteria for each of the schools you're applying for.
- If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or a statement of special educational needs they can still sit the Medway Test and you must register in the same way as everyone else.
- If your child needs special arrangements to sit the test, for example because they have a disability, you need to ask their school to submit a request to us.
Late registrations for the Medway Test (after the closing date) will only be considered if there was good reason, for example:
- serious illness
- late move to the Medway area.
Late registrations must be received by Friday 14 July 2017.
You will need to collect a paper form from our offices at Gun Wharf, Chatham and write a covering letter to explain your reasons for being late. The form and letter need to be sent back to Student Services at Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4TR.
To be considered, all late registrations must be received by 14 July 2017. We will then decide if they can be accepted. Any registrations received after 14 July 2017 will be held pending until after the offer of school places on 1 March 2018.