Starting primary school
Apply to start school in Year R (Reception) if your child is born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014.
Apply to transfer from infant to junior school (Year 3) if your child is born between the 1 September 2010 and 31 August 2011 and attends an infant school.
If your child is in Year 2 in a primary school which runs from Year R to Year 6, you don't need to apply for Year 3, unless you wish your child to transfer to a junior school.
If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or a statement of special educational needs you don’t need to apply through this admission process. Contact email@example.com instead.
Apply for a place
Open date for applications: 9am, Monday 18 September 2017
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Monday 15 January 2018
- you must live in Medway to apply through Medway Council. If you live outside Medway, you need to apply through your local authority
- you can name Medway schools and non-Medway schools on your application
- Medway residents can apply for up to six different schools in order of preference (not including private, independent or special schools)
- you don't need to name six schools, but naming only one school doesn't give you a better chance of being offered a place there
- don’t name a school multiple times. It will only be considered as one of your preferences
- you must use the child's main address
- if your child attends a nursery or pre-school attached to a school it doesn't give them higher priority for a place
- if your child has a sibling at the school it does not guarantee them a place, you still have to apply
- if applying for more than one child (e.g. twins) you must complete a separate application for each child. They will not count as a sibling link for school places
- you must apply even if you have added your child’s name to a school’s expression of interest list
- your personal childcare arrangements can't be taken into account
When applying for a junior school
When applying for a junior school, you also need to remember:
- transfer from an infant school to a junior school is not automatic. If your child attends a Medway infant school, you must apply for them to go to Year 3 in a junior school
- if your child is in Year 2 at a primary school and you'd like them to be considered for a place in Year 3 at a junior school, you must apply through this process
- if your child is in an infant school and you wish for them to attend a primary school, you can't apply through this process. You must apply as an in-year admission.
We recommend you apply online because:
- it's quick, easy and secure
- you'll get an email confirmation when you submit your application
- you can check or change your application up until the closing date and resubmit it after changes are made
- you’ll get an offer of a school by email on offer day.
- you may need to complete a supplementary information form (SIF) to go with your application. You can get these forms from the school
- if you or your child has a health, medical or special access need you’ll need to provide professional evidence of this as soon as you have submitted your application
- if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or statement of special educational needs, you don’t apply through this mainstream process.
You can visit one of Medway Council's Community Hubs or libraries to use our computers to complete your online application.
If you can't apply online, you can collect a paper application form from our offices at Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4TR. Receipt of paper application forms will not be acknowledged.
If you apply for a school place after the closing date, your application will only be considered if you can provide a good reason, for example:
- serious illness
- late move to the Medway area.
If you miss the closing date you can still submit an application up to 5pm on Monday 29 January 2018 with a covering letter explaining your reasons for being late.
We'll decide if late applications received by 29 January 2018 can be accepted. Any applications not accepted or received after 29 January 2018 will be held pending until after the offer of school places are made on Monday 16 April 2018.