Starting primary school
Apply to start school in Year R (Reception) if your child is born between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015.
Apply to transfer from infant to junior school (Year 3) if your child is born between 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012 and attends an infant school.
If your child is in Year 2 in a primary school which runs from Year R to Year 6, you don't need to apply for Year 3, unless you wish your child to transfer to a junior school.
If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or a statement of special educational needs you don’t need to apply through this admission process. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org instead.
Choose a school
You can list up to six preferences when you apply for a school place. This can include schools in or outside Medway.
Before you apply, there are some things you may want to consider doing:
- find out more about primary, infant and junior schools in Medway. If a school is having open days or tours, the details will be on their school page
- find out how places are offered for each school by reading their admission arrangements
- check a school's Ofsted report (Type in the school name and press 'search'. These reports are not taken into account as part of the admissions process)
- find out if the school(s) you're thinking about offer before and after school facilities
School age ranges include:
- infant schools (Year R to Year 2): 4 to 7 year olds
- primary schools (Year R to Year 6): 4 to 11 year olds
- junior schools (Year 3 to Year 6): 7 to 11 year olds
Most Medway infant schools are paired with a junior school.
This means children who attend the infant school have a higher priority for a place in the paired junior school than children not attending the infant school.
You still have to apply for the paired junior school. Places are not automatically given.
Defer or delay your child's start date
Children reach compulsory school age when they turn five and must be in school the term after their fifth birthday.
If your child is born between 1 April and 31 August, you can request to defer or delay your child's start date.