Transferring to Medway
As a foster carer you can only foster for one agency at a time. Medway Council have children that need fostering, so if you’re thinking about transferring to us we aim to make the process as smooth as possible.
We’ll complete your assessment in less than three months - depending on your experience and place children immediately after approval.
How to transfer to us
If you don’t have a child/children placed with you and want to transfer:
- Tell your current fostering agency in writing that you plan to leave
- Contact us about transferring to Medway
- We'll begin your assessment once you’ve notified your current agency
- The assessment will take two to three months and you'll need to deregister from your fostering agency before being approved at Medway
- You'll register with Medway Council’s agency
If you have a child placed with you, and you want to transfer:
- Give written notice to your current agency and Medway Council about transferring
- We will inform the child’s Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) of the change of agency
- A meeting will be arranged within 28 days and will be attended by professionals from the current service, the recruiting service and you - as the foster carer
- We will talk you through the transfer period (the children placed with you will be able to live with you even after you change agency)
- A transfer date and the dates of a panel will be agreed
- You must be registered for the child to remain in placement, so an agreed date of registration with us and the end of the old agency will be agreed
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.
If you're thinking about fostering and would like some more information or just an informal chat, please complete the form below and one of our foster care specialists will be in touch: