Starting secondary school
Apply for a secondary school place for September 2020, if your child was born between 1 September 2008 and 31 August 2009.
If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or statement of special educational needs you don’t need to apply through this admission process. Please contact email@example.com instead.
Apply for a place
Open date for 2020 applications: 9am, Monday 9 September 2019
Closing date for 2020 applications: 5pm, Thursday 31 October 2019
- you must live in Medway to apply through Medway Council. If you live outside of Medway, you need to apply through your home local authority
- you can name Medway schools and non-Medway schools on your application
- Medway residents can apply for up to six different schools in order of preference (not including private, independent or special schools)
- you don't need to name six schools, but naming only one school doesn't give you a better chance of being offered a place there
- don’t name a school multiple times. It will only be considered as one of your preferences
- you must use the child's main address
- if your child has a sibling at the school it does not guarantee them a place, you still have to apply
- if applying for more than one child (e.g. twins) you must complete a separate application for each child
- you must apply even if you have added your child’s name to a school’s expression of interest list.
We recommend you apply online because:
- it's quick, easy and secure
- you'll get an email confirmation when you submit your application
- you can check or change your application up until the closing date and resubmit it after changes are made
- you’ll get an email on offer day notifying you of your school offer
- you may need to complete a supplementary information form (SIF) to go with your application. You can get these forms from the relevant school
- if your child has a health, medical or special access need and this was on your application, you'll need to provide evidence after submitting your application. Not all schools consider health or medical needs in their oversubscription criteria.
- if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or statement of special educational needs, you don’t apply through this mainstream process.
You can visit one of Medway Council's Community Hubs or libraries to use our computers to complete your online application.
If you can't apply online, you can collect a paper application form from our offices at Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4TR.
If you apply for a school place after the closing date, your application will only be considered if you can provide a good reason, for example:
- serious illness
- late move to the Medway area.
If you miss the closing date you can still apply for a place up to 5pm on Friday 15 November 2019 with a covering letter explaining your reasons for being late.
We'll decide if late applications received by 15 November 2019 can be accepted. Any applications not accepted or received after 15 November 2019 will be held pending until after the offer of school places on 2 March 2020.